Chapter 26 begins with a quote from Albert Einstein which I believe is incredibly important an fitting ending to all we have studied in our leadership class. The quote is "We cannot solve the problems that we have created with the same thinking that created them." I'm optomistic when considering the future of leadership in education. The study of leadership theory reveals that leadership continues to change and transform. This occures due to the changing and transforming nature of education. As new leaders arise, new ideas come into play. It reminds me of "survival of the fittest." Those who are able to adapt to the everchanging environment are the ones who will find the most success in the field. Not only does it seem to requires adaptation but also risk and foresight. Leaders of education need to be able to foresee challenges and will need to take risks. Part of of readings including a section on depleting resources. Convenience in the long term often means using far greater resources than necessary. For example, the convenience of being able to travel at a moments notice with vehicles comes at a great price of pollution and depletion of fossil fuels. Those who succeed in leading education institutions will be the ones who use the least amount of resources to positively impact the greatest number of people. One of my interests in education relates to this very idea. Reducing educational costs and inputs to provide a more efficient, accessible educational system for those who seek is a goal which I believe is attainable. The way to do this will require leadership who are willing to take risks and think outside the box.
On a more personal note, this class has been beneficial, especially in the beginning of the doctoral program. My background is in business. After graduating with an MBA I worked as a financial management consultant for IBM. Since taking this EDL course, I have been challenged to think in ways that are uncommon to me. Of course, I have a great journey ahead of me but I look forward to taking what I have learned, asking further questions and applying it to practice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yolanda,
ReplyDeleteYour statement about "adaption" is absolutely right. A good leader must be able to adapt and to do it quickly!
On a side note, how did you get interested in Ed.Leadership from the business world?
Enjoyed your blog, Tim