Friday, September 18, 2009
Dev. a leadership identity
"Developing a leadership identity: A grounded theory" gives significant insight into the establishment of leadership identity. After reading the article, I couldn’t help but think of negative influences which perhaps aided in shaping the development of the participants leadership styles. The effect of negative influences may be as important as the positive influences for development of leadership identity. For instance someone may decide to be a more open, truthful leader as a result of being in a situation where the leader was closed and not truthful. It is perhaps natural that memories of positive leadership stick out in the minds of the participantss. However, the effect of all leadership experiences is important and worthy of study. Also after reading the article, it seems that certain people may have a greater influence in the development of leadership styles. Those with authority, usually adults, seem to have a significant influence on the development of leadership throughout every stage. Although adults seem to play an important role in the participants leadership development, it is important to know whether as they aged if participants' peers had an increase in the influence of leadership development also.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Yolanda,
ReplyDeleteI think that this is an interesting reflection/question. I for one believe that we are all the sum of our experiences and that our experience impact our future actions and beliefs. I also think that my observation would mesh well with grounded theory which is a methodology used to make sense of current practice. I think that it is premised on the notion that people ascribe meaning to actions - in other (better) words, we act in ways that are consistent with our values.
I guess that my question to you is the same question that I asked Ed. Experience is definitely an important part of making sense of the world, but as a researcher, you need to begin to look at literature and to make sense of that. How does the literature help you to formulate a question that you'd like to ask/study in this doctoral program. That's your next step in the developmental process of becoming a researcher and I look forward to seeing you take that step. I'm sure that you can!
Yolanda-
ReplyDeleteI like your comment about peer leadership and seeing how peers can influence one another. Often times we look at leadership as the "positional leadership" or individual who holds the title in the organization. This is one change agent in the organization, but what are others.